February 2017 |
Announcements, Latest News
Some of you may know that the Prisoners Literature Project often runs ‘special sessions’ for specific external groups. These are set up separately from our regular volunteer session times, and allows these groups to answer letters and pack up books for needy U.S. prisoners.
Thanks to Peter, here’s some of the recent group highlights (of which there are many!):
– Lisa Q and Justin spoke about the PLP’s book efforts to members of Cal Rotaract and Berkeley Rotary, who have since come by for special sessions.
– Led by Tiffany, the fabulous ladies of Uptown Oakland Booktini Book Club rocked the house and donated much-needed dictionaries and books on African-American culture.
– And stalwart adult volunteers from The Kitchen have come over from San Francisco time and again to read letters and pack books.
– A well-deserved shout-out to the PLP’s regular high school volunteers: Lily and Lulu (Albany), Harry and Oona (Lick-Wilmerding), Sam and Sophia (St. Marys), Charlotte (Maybeck), and Jordan (Berkeley). In addition, we’ve hosted special sessions for many high school groups in the area — not to mention exchange students from Berkeley’s English Studies Institute.
– Taking advantage of our proximity to UC Berkeley, the PLP has hosted great groups from the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega , pre-law fraternity Sigma Alpha Nu (thank you, Allan!), and of course Cal Rotaract and Berkeley Rotary. PLP boasts some incredibly dedicated Cal volunteers (Lisa, Phong: please take a bow!), plus more Cal alumni in our ranks than we can count!
– Word seems to be getting out about the PLP: Claire and Peter recently headed to San Mateo to run PLP workshops for high schoolers at the Nueva School. Later this month, Lily and Lulu will supervise when their friends from Albany High’s Amnesty International Club come by, and Maxine will host another group from Cal.
– In February, Sam will introduce fellow students from St. Marys to the PLP; seniors from Hayward’s Leadership High School will also be stopping by to volunteer.
(Final note: if you’d like to bring a group to volunteer and help us pack books, outside of the regular volunteering session times, please email us at email@example.com!)